This will capture briefly the notes I have made during hangouts on the following dates:
- 19.08.18 – OCA L3 Hangout
- 09.09.18 – OCA L3 Hangout
- 07.10.18 – OCA L3 Hangout
- 28.10.18 – OCA L3 Hangout
- 30.08.18 – Landscape
- 23.08.18 – Stan’s Hangout
- 05.09.18 – Stan’s Hangout
- 19.09.18 – Stan’s Hangout
- 31.10.18 – Stan’s Hangout
- 14.11.18 – Stan’s Hangout
19 August 2018 – AG, JW, SW, BD, JB, VW
There is great value to be had from submitting to Lensculture competition as they provide a comprehensive review.
AG mentioned a book ($10) on writing an Artist Statement. Need to articulate your AS to different people. Jennifer Schwartz ‘Crusade for Your Art: Best Practices for Fine Art Photographers See, The artist’s statement: How and why to write yours
In Jennifer Schwartz’s paper (Schwartz), she emphasises 3 main parts of the statement:
What are you trying to say with your work? What is the story you are telling?
Why are you making this work? What inspired the project?
Why should the viewer care? Why is what you are saying significant or valuable? How are you making me see something in a way I wouldn’t see it otherwise? How are you making me feel something unique or important? What are you making me think about that deserves attention? Why is your voice the best one to transmit this information?
(See Anna’s Web site: https://annasyp.wordpress.com/visits/ Accessed 30 October 2018)
She has Helen Warburton as her tutor for SYP – seems to be engaged
Bryn – LL is for you. Need to challenge back comments from tutors.
SW was waiting for A3 feedback
JB Looking at memory and old images. Her CS was lagging behind. Keith Roberts is BoW tutor who has an interest in archives.
Book: The new Curator
09 September 2018 – Amano, Veronica, Jane, Anna, Bryn Davies, Selina,
JW has Derek Trillo for BoW
SW Has Andy Langford
Bryn – looking at shadows & depth/meaning. IF an image is not captured then it would not have been seen. Play of light over time (Paul Graham) Imaging Time (Charlotte Fox)
For Bow don’t narrow down ideas too soon. ⟹ have a couple of projects or strands of thought.
Selina – nothing in BOW currently was there at the start. Do not block thinking by thinking long term.
Post everything in LL – It does not have to be perfect.
Discussion of DB Ass#5 work
- People who don’t own the land on which they live.
- Does this reflect in any way the previous nomadic nature of African people
- Have a bigger selection on my Blog
- The light is harsh like Australia – try desaturating a little as the harshness detracts from the message
- Text and quotes may help to express what is happening and resonate with the image
- BD – this is a bot like a survey of dwellings, maybe need to expand more to show land
- Take another view from further back
- Washing line
- Use images that can reference, not necessarily the bast
- Chose the quotes – maybe also historic quotes
Write down your thoughts every day
AG – A4 white spiral wound & posed in blog and made notes
SW – A5 and thin so easy to carry around but not every day
JW – A5
07 October 2018 – Amano, Jane, Bryn Davies, Selina
BD – Robert Bloomfield – CS Tutor. Ass1 feedback – less secure but early days. BoW more secure but LL not enough. BoW Ass2 – Shadows. Writes every day but doesn’t necessarily upload. Physical LL ⟹ can write more personally and adds variety.
JW – has had positive feedback on her gallery exhibition. Had no text with individual images only her artist statement.
SW attended a workshop on exhibiting. Lensculture feedback – detached response but positive and insightful – ‘take time and let it develop’.
28 October 2018 – Bryn Davies, Selina
Interesting discussion on SW’s work and how it has developed
- Connection with place
- Clothing may provide a link – connectivity
- Women in the landscape
- Those without the prop are more introspective, with a prop – extroverted and fun
- Editing – some may still fit better in another place in the sequence
- DB _ some images feel too posed
- Performance art – Bruce McClean
Links from BD
For Selina and the consideration of the clothing identity
- 1st a photographer then a performer
- Photography as a physical thing not only visual
- How do circumstances/practicalities impact on the when and where one takes ones photographs.
BD’s Shadowgrams (See his LL: https://www.indigenousimages.com/assignments/2018/10/22/assignment-two-shadowgram Accessed 29 October 2018)
- Linked to meditation
- A mediation on light itself
- Plato’s cave
- Video shows images changing
- To have silence you have to have a frame around it and similarly for empty space
- Further work on layering of images made yesterday with the shadows of today by printing yesterday’s images and placing them on the wall in the appropriate place. Could also subvert this by deliberately misplacing them.
OCA course, not just about making the image but about why and the context in which it is seen.
If we think of photography as only visual we are missing the other senses.
There is always an incomplete image
30 August 2018 – Landscape – Anne, Richard, Jack, Kathy, Nuala, Catherine, Amano
Discussion of DB Ass#5 work
Difficult to determine the story
Each image must stand on its own
Like the images
Need an Artist statement and probably some quotes
Cover is brilliant
Catherine – IR work
Simon Morley – The Sublime
Anne – Gloster Prison, Closed 2013, Tours in 2014. Strong emotion about the place
Sally Mann – Biography
Nuala – Not too happy with Blurb ⟹ Hand bound for A#5. Old school closed in 1950s which was run by the Catholic Church & children were sexually & physically abused. Working with a man of 87, the child of an unmarried mother, who was a child in the school
Richard – Great Uncle was in the Crimean war. The house he was born in is still there – show how the land has changed.
23 August 2018 – Stan’s L3 Hangout – HB, SarahD, SD, MP, JU, SW
HB – 97 slides for talk – WIP. It is all about editing
Urban spaces by Derick Trillo (insightimages.co.uk) for his PhD
MikeP (Robert Bloomingdale for SYP) Evidence of how he is naturally sustaining his practice with a journey
Selina – diagonal lines of roads distracting
Maps orientated North – South
SD – daughter (Beth) version is great
Stan – Make layers come and go as a moving image
JU – video a but trite, too much going on, Rich resource to develop, Daughter – no pause for reflection and thought
Voice and video = performance
Did not like the illustrative nature of the presentation
This work of Mike’s makes me wonder how I can use this type of concept in developing the ‘Bell’ biography
JU – It all comes back to EDIT. ∵ MP has put everything into this project ⟹ he needs to edit.
Tate – Light and Motion
Curating 2 artists together is provoking questions
Francesca Woodman – Ev Schuler
FW – lack of conclusion/under developed because of suicide at 22
ES – accomplished – got something. Also uses his own body and that of other women. Died at 28 ~ 1918
5 September 2018 – – Stan’s L3 Hangout – HB, BC, SarahD, SD, MP
HB – reported back on talk which went fine
SD – A3 submitted – looking at other slide show software (MP – ProShowGo)
This is a rich piece of work – SD has been observant and captured images most would walk past. Flashbacks to childhood. Music – maybe use more here of that timeframe.
Looking through Mom’s window – how clear is your memory
Images not necessarily childhood but reflect ‘home’.
Slideshow – just because – good to try something different. There is a tension in the slides and the music.
SW – music triggered memory. Images with religious details most poignant: Religion ⟹ Ireland. No people in any of the images – this is a personal psychological reflection. Was thinking about ‘home’ nit really the people
Discussion of DB Ass#5 work
Confused message as nothing with regard to white farmers
No white farms in images – no tension in images
Sense of ‘Otherness’
Images similar ⟹ no tension
Text will make a big difference – may enrich – Should be ambiguous
SW – cover is very different
Would have to read some of the text – could I bring in something else. WOuld like to see less images of land
BC – can a white person show the black side?? Avoiding addressing the few questions, else need to get closer to them. Sense of not being close enough ⟹ ‘Get closer’.
Use media coverage
Karen Knorr 1981/3 – use of text
Achill Notes – MIchael Wann
19 September 2018 – – Stan’s L3 Hangout – HB, BC, JU, MP, S-J, SW, RT
RT – CS Tutor – Gary Clarkson
HB – CS Tutor – Wendy McMurdoe
Discussing the CS Essay the flow is: Lit Review (Ass2) ⟶ Plan (Ass3) ⟶ Essay (Ass4) One could have a highly developed plan and send that to the tutor for comment. JU Had 6000 words. This would allow one to refine it for the final essay.
- Writing in 3rd person the author is more detached
- Use images ≈ same as other persons
- This is a visual course so use images
HB – urban studies and will contrast the ‘romantic’ architechts view/impression versus reality.
Landscape – Rebecca Solnit
Dream of England ⟶ Selina
For the essay reading it out loud helps and also to get some critique – send to whole group so we are all doing a ‘crit’
L3 is really self directed and Hangouts make it much easier
MP – SyP submitted
JU – enrolled in MA program
31 October 2018 – – Stan’s L3 Hangout – SD, HB, BC, JU,MC, SW
We had an in depth discussion on SW’s recent work/edit. As she is dealing with people in the landscape (herself) it is worth taking note of the comments for my own landscape work.
- Play more with distance
- Images are best when one cannot see her face or only a part of the body. I am not 100% sure I agree with this though.
- A lot of her clothing looks like camouflage and almost melts into the background.
- All props are either found or bought at a second hand clothing shop ⟹ environmentally friendly.
- She is dealing with a non-EU landscape, a ‘New World’. This is very relevant to me too as there are a lot of similarities between Australia and RSA, particularly with regard to light conditions and vegetation.
- As this is her Ass#4 for BoW it should be getting tighter, there are still too many directions. Possibly use her artist statement to help in getting direction? Apply this to my thinking on my Ass#5
- Paul Gaffney’s work never included people only the environment. At: http://www.paulgaffneyphotography.com This is worth looking at when making a book. The details of the work are:
- We Make the Path by Walking
Offset printing on Munken Lynx paper
Edition of 1000 copies + 50 special editions
Softcover with photo-illustrated slip case and Swiss binding
Includes the poem ‘Caminante no hay camino’ by Antonio Machado
Self published July 2013
40 images on 78 pages
160mm x 210mm
- SW’s work overall about gender politics. The work as is would result in an OK degree but if she edits around one of the 4 or 5 themes it would result in a better mark. However, the work has increased in depth, quality and quantity.
- Posing with a prop – going out and posing ⟹ performance. This work has resulted in a personal awareness contrasted with the view that if she has a day off from work she can ‘do some cleaning’. It has helped find her personal identity & break through the social constraints. This deep emotional involvement in her work is significant and comes through in the quality of the work.
- There may be a number of different possible edits for the work.
MC SYP Ass#1
- What you do for BoW is ≡ the starting point for SYP. A portfolio review helps prompt you to follow up on different ideas and may help firm-up ideas, but it is not essential to have one.
- Talking about your work ⟹ one gets a deeper understanding of the work. When doing a PhD this is equivalent to ‘defending your work’.
- Tutors help find better ways of expressing yourself.
- Look for every opportunity to express yourself.
- Contacting other artists for their feedback ⟹ you are staring to grow your network. ‘Have you got time to look at this work and give me your views on it?’ Most artists are happy & keen to give a response – some may be brief but all are usually helpful.
- OCA Students as a whole have experience and time etc. to make significant work. See Doug Burton’s article in JUICE. https://weareoca.com/tutors/what-is-your-tutor-up-to-chapter-26-doug-burton/
14 November 2018 – – Stan’s L3 Hangout – HB, SJ, MC, RT, MP
Discussion was around two essays; SJ’s and HB’s. The latter was to help her get started as she was battling with this. SJ had her second draft which evoked plenty of discussion due to its complexity, word count and title. SJ has blogged in detail about this At: https://sjfdiculture.wordpress.com/2018/11/14/a3-hangout-notes/ (Accessed on 15 November 2018)